Yosemite National Park is as grand as everyone says! I was fortunate to hike about 14 (long and rugged) miles of it one day back in 2006 while traveling solo for a week through California! That’s me…looking small beside the towering pine trees!
The terrain was quite varied…ranging from gently sloping fields to arduous and steep inclines.
I think the only trail I didn’t hike that day was the famous Half Dome…pictured here in the background!
I was traveling by Amtrak trains and buses throughout California and met this lady…Claire–from the UK…on a bus heading into Yosemite from Napa Valley. After getting to know each other a bit, she told me of her plan to stay in a Youth Hostel about 45 minutes from Yosemite. I had booked a room for two evenings at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls…so I invited her to share the room. It was nice to have someone to hike with and her British accent and “little sayings” were so fun! Although I was old enough to be her mother (barely), we got along well!
I was there in September and the weather was glorious! Chilly–crisp mornings warming enough during the day to make the hiking perfect and the sunshine was dazzling! The only downside to visiting Yosemite in the fall is the probability of the falls being dried up.
I was so sore (my back) when we finished hiking (it took us 9 hours with just a few breaks) that I took a hot bath when we returned to the room to soak the pain away!
The following day we took a 14 mile bicycle ride and came across this lovely little chapel. I love the way the sun lit the tree up behind it!
I checked Yosemite National Park off of my bucket list! If it’s not on yours…it should be!
- Yosemite waives entrance fee for MLK Day (modbee.com)
- Yosemite National Park – My Moby Dick (grumpyhiker.wordpress.com)
- Yosemite Valley HDR First Rays of Light – Yosemite National Park – Chikku Baiju (photobotos.com)
- Yosemite National Park Waterfalls Flowing Again (yubanet.com)
- Moonrise in Yosemite National Park (circadianreflections.wordpress.com)
- $235 million renovation plan for Yosemite Valley unveiled (fresnobee.com)
- Picnic Wedding at Yosemite National Park by Brooke Beasley Photography (stylemepretty.com)
- Travel Nurse Inspiration in Photos: Yosemite National Park (thegypsynurse.com)
- Expand Yosemite (gabrielconstans.wordpress.com)